See, I have this "cute" display on my porch of things that I love:
Against the backdrop of an old barn-door and a double laundry wash tub:
- A road-sign (I acquired it LEGALLY!!! There was an accident, and I asked the repair crew if I could have it... They said YES!)
- A horseshoe I found in our pasture (I wonder how old it is. It looks super old. Big too...)
- A vintage mop bucket (from our ninety plus year old neighbors)
- A wooden apple-box (came with the house)
- Some wooden shoes (to remind me of my roots)
- And a little metal bucket with a bird's nest in it (my daughter found it under a tree, the nest that is...)
- And a vintage sheep-bell (my husband found it somewhere)
Then I looked closer and saw this:
And the birds-nest, which was arranged so lovely in the little bucket, now has those eggs in it.....
They are CHICKEN EGGS!!!!
I was wondering why there were only three eggs in the chicken coop today!
So we are down to six.
And on a nice day we get six eggs. When the weather is not so nice we get less.....
Did you know that affected them?
I guess I knew that but never thought about it.
Our chickens just roam around the yard.... They are so fun to watch. We enjoy them so much! and they help us keep the bugs to a minimum! Great fringe benefits....
I guess serious egg-chicken-farmers would put a lamp in their chicken coop to provide more light. Their laying is affected by the number of hours of light they get in a day.... In the winter when there are less day-light hours, most of our chickens will stop laying eggs altogether. but I have learned that even if it is summer-day, but darkish and over-cast we will get less eggs. True. On a nice day with lots of sun we get six eggs....
Anyway..... We love our chickens. They are so fun!